After Trump and Brexit: Confronting the Rise in Racism
Free event organised by Newham Stand Up to Racism – All welcome.
- Stephen Timms MP, East Ham
- Claire Moseley, founder, Care4Calais
- Lucia Pradella, Free Movement of Labour Campaign & UCU
- Dr Siema Iqbal, national engagement lead, MEND
- Professor Leslie Brent, Kindertransport
- Brian Richardson, Stand Up to Racism
With stalls from local campaign group.
Trump’s election as President of the United States underlines that tackling racism remains one of the key challenges our society.
Across Europe, refugees are still being left to drown or face squalor in camps such as Calais.
And Theresa May’s attacks on freedom of movement shows the Tories’ willingness scapegoat migrants after Brexit.
But there has been resistance. Refugees have refused to be locked out, while thousands have taken to the streets to say ‘Black Lives Matter’.
Meanwhile, race hate crimes have been met by communities coming together to reject the scapegoating of migrants.
Come to the public rally to discuss how we can build on all this to confront the rise in racism.