MCLE: A Call to Action: Responding to Violence Against Transgender Individuals
Leaders in the transgender community address violence against transgender individuals and ways to combat this violence. Special attention will be devoted to how violence affects transgender individuals’ lives. Discussion will include strategies and resources to create more inclusive environments for transgender individuals. Panelists will address areas of law in which the rights of transgender people are more likely to be challenged, including: family law, hate crimes, discrimination while incarcerated and discrimination in housing, employment and public accommodations. They will explain legal approaches to supporting transgender individuals and help participants develop strategies for meeting the legal needs of transgender individuals in their law practices.
- Jazzmun Crayton, City of Los Angeles Human Relations Commission Transgender Advisory Council
- Madison Blu Fairchild, Attorney at Law
- Beatrice Girmala, Assistant Chief, Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD)
- Mariana Marroquin, Anti-Violence Project Manager & Client Advocate, LA LGBT Center
- Adriel Rodriguez, Victim Advocate, St. John’s Well Child & Family Center
- Maria Roman, Housing Specialist, APAIT
- Taunyett Thompson, Group Mentor, Center for Health Justice
Earn 1.5 hours Elimination of Bias MCLE credit.
Registration fees: FREE