Unpacking Hate Crime: Hate, Bias, and Community Expectations Workshop
This workshop will focus on the distinction between hate crimes and hate incidents in Canada. While both hate crimes and incidents impact the community, police services are limited in their involvement with hate incidents (due to their non-criminal nature). This often creates confusion, mistrust, and feelings of resentment between communities impacted by hate and the police.
Through this workshop, participants will explore:
- The distinction between hate incidents and hate crimes
- Hate Crime legislation in Canada
- Challenges in addressing hate crimes and incidents
- Bias Awareness indicators
- Community responses to hate
This will be a very interactive workshop. Participants will be encouraged to contribute in active dialogue and discussion.
More information can be found here.